Monday 19 August 2013

How to break a shackled system: Curious case of Indian administrators

'It is much easier to abandon a sinking ship than to brave the storms' - Anonymous. I have lived with this philosophy all my life, particularly with respect to India. Having studied and traveled abroad very extensively, I have often been given the advice that I am wasting my time in India and should be working in some 'high-up' organization in the 'Western world.'

I will state at the outset, I love my country, yet am very critical of it. At this juncture, criticism of some crucial aspects is overpowering my love for India. About two years back I decided to follow my idealistic dreams and work with the Indian government to 'make a difference'. I went into this without having any idea of what I can make different, but an innate belief that once I present my capabilities to the officials and powers of Government of India, they would see the merit and allow me to contribute to the fields of - trade and economic policies and India's geo-strategic positions. Two years down the line and I have started re-thinking my own position. 

Reiterative cycles of attempts - faxes sent to various bureaucrats, trying to touch base with autonomous organizations, writing to Ministers. About 99% attempts are wasted - 'maybe they are too busy, have seen too many phonies, have many political compulsions'. With 1% you break in - several rounds of meetings. appreciation of work, endless rounds of free consulting, promises of moving forward and yet after 6-8 months, nothing moves forward. And if that is not disillusioning enough, several rounds of interactions make you realize three vital things;
  • Most people in the government are fire-fighting. There is no strategic vision of why and how a decision should be taken, especially at the lower levels of bureaucracy - but no one admits to wanting help
  • Different ministries and departments do not talk to each other. 
  • System crushes all crusade type sentiments in any moralist person.
Several of my friends and acquaintances who had left lucrative careers abroad to 'make a difference' through the GOI in this country have left, become frustrated or worse become disillusioned. As India catapults from one crisis to another, it becomes imperative to examine if the rigidity of our system is excluding popular participation, especially of young and engaged persons. Is this syndrome of 'I Know the Best' slowly leading to a situation where 'Out of the Box' thinking and 'Long Term Strategic planning' giving way to mediocrity and everyday firefighting. That being the case we are going to lose heavily in this fast moving, hi-tech world. The saddest consequence would be the disconnect between the government and the young generation that can be a source of new ideas and innovative thinking.

1 comment:

  1. A nation must strive to make itself a powerful magnet which will attract the young, the bright and all those who genuinely ' want to make a difference'. It is a great tragedy of our times when youth is filled with frustration instead of enthusiasm, diffidence instead of dreams and cynicism instead of constructive formulation of new thoughts. The need of the hour is to collect, collate and channelize the energies of this new, enthusiastic and well equipped generation while banishing the thought that age is directly proportional to wisdom !!!!Those in power will be well advised to do some sagacious strategic thinking rather than -- as rightly put -- 'fire fighting '. Kudos for a well written timely piece.

    ReplyDelete